Fabulous Journey - Teju Bhandari

 

Namaste, I am Teju Bhandari from Nepalgunj Banke, Nepal. My home town Nepalgunj is located at the southwestern part of Nepal. It's my pleasure to share my beautiful journey with GATE about the vocational field. I have finished school from Shree Shining Star English Medium School with 72.63% on 2015 A.D, then I joined Hotel Management subject at high school from Adarsh secondary school in 2017 A.D. There were lots of options for further study but my family financial situation was not so strong. Waited for a long time for other options but failed, tried harder to get scholarships but unable to receive any. I was so worried and I thought it will better if I quit. I began to think deeply about my life and my future, which leads to deep anxiety. Then I become unconscious terrified and could not make the right decision that’s how my few months went. It was really difficult and to pass that hard time. Maybe my dream was far beyond what my family could do. I began to think that it was my fault for dreaming big. I went to many places to look for a job but failed continuously, the employer said I don't have enough academic qualifications, experiences, and skills for the job.

 After many attempts did not found any solutions for my problems, there was no other way except to go abroad. I was forced to consider this as the final decision and have been interested and passionate about cooking from an early age. I made a conscious decision to move forward in the kitchen sector. Then luckily I came to know about GATE Vocational Westend at Nepalgunj which is the branch of Global Academy of Tourism and Hospitality Education (GATE) Kathmandu. Hence, it was probably the biggest moment of my life, I don't know why? On the first day, I fall in love with GATE College and later on I admitted there. I never thought that a college would change the life of a person who has lost all his hopes. From the second day, I started my classes the date was 26th January 2018 and become part of the hospitality/culinary sector. I have never imagined that my life would take such a turn. Before going to the GATE College I had already gone to some vocational colleges to know and get information about the colleges but I'm shocked by knowing the expensive course fees which my parents could not afford for me.

After a couple of months, the staffs in the kitchen has left their job and I started thinking that GATE College had done so much for us so I took a nap to do something to enhance my personal skills by involving at college, then every day I reached college by 5:30 A.M and started to prepare breakfast for 30 people and lunch for 65 people but till such time I was self mentored to work in the kitchen, no one even tried to stop me, no questions for me that why you are here? Who told you to work in the kitchen? Because while you doing good work no one will stop you. The days went gradually my teachers and chefs began to trust me.


During my study period, I have learned about different varieties of cuisine. The college looked up at me higher than I have expected. The first time I found that this is the right place that cares about the future of the students and gives first priority to the students than itself.  10th August 2018, I got a congratulation letter by Soltee Westend premier hotel because of taking special care of former "Royal Families" during their stay in the hotel. The Soaltee hotel and GATE Vocational partnership tends to provide hospitality training at the local level of Westen Nepal. I used to go to the Soaltee hotel on behalf of chefs during a busy time at the hotel. On 15th August 2018 during our college program, I was awarded by "Most Dedicated Student Batch-I". This was an exciting and immortal moment for me. I am sure that it is not by judging my face and my physical appearance but all because of my hardworking personality shared by college management. In this way, I have completed a Diploma in culinary art on 15th August 2018 as well as started an internship from March 2018 to October 2019 at GATE Vocational Westend in Food Production Department at the bulk kitchen as a part of Soaltee Westend Premier, Nepalgunj.

After completing the internship I got the opportunity to work at GATE Vocational FAB School Pokhara as an immediate kitchen in charge where I got exposure to working at the main kitchen. During different events at college, I was able to learn and achieve new experiences working with diverse nationalities. With the help of the chef, I have started learning new things in regards to the production department. On behalf of the chef, I used to work confidently and handled the whole kitchen operation. Gradually I am familiar with the same environment as well worked there for 11 months. During my tenure as a kitchen in charge, I got lots of opportunities to explore my hidden talent. Sometimes the work was difficult and with lots of challenges but I did it all easily by the proper guidance from my senior management.

Yes, you got accidents/incidents at the kitchen but that depends on you how you transform that pain into happiness. Life is not as easy as we think, my strengths are the attitude that I like to take challenges that I can do it, I have the hunger of cooking, passion for new creations, and curious every time to learn new things. I cannot sit quietly while I'm at work. I believe that I will take both success and failure in a balanced manner. I trust myself, my hard work, all I want is dedication/ determination in everything. I am a good learner as well as a good team player.

 Later on, I got an opportunity for Certificate Level III in Hospitality which is under the Australian Qualification Framework. So currently I'm studying certificate level-III which is supported by NOREC which refers to the Norwegian Agency for Exchange Cooperation is a national center of excellence for international exchange, network, and the development of young leaders. The one slogan of the NOREC is "Exchange gives you new perspectives”. Between this project periods, I went to Norway for a youth camp where there were many participants like us from different countries they came for youth leadership training program. Actually, the youth camp was to know about the exchange program. One of my favorite parts was, I have got a chance to show Nepalese culture among all the participants. I had a great learning experience there with different people, diverse cultures, and varieties of languages. I met with some of the great personalities and their motivational words help to inspire myself.

 After youth leadership tanning from NOREC, I came to my country Nepal. I along with my exchange friends stayed at GATE Vocational FAB School, Pokhara for 5 months. Where I learned about Nepalese cuisine mostly Newari cuisine because the major focus of this project was about showcasing authentic Newari cuisine of Nepal and fostering young leader through a culinary degree, we learned Western cuisine, Barista training English language classes, and direct involvement in socio-cultural programs as well as some big events related to food and culture. During the 5 months period, I got a chance to work with Michelin star chef Manuel Berganza from Spain for the event by SAPTA Collective a charity dinner in coordination with The Pavillion Himalayas, Pokhara, and GATE Vocational FAB School, Pokhara. Meanwhile, I got a golden opportunity to learn bakery production from a great patissier chef Ulrich Schendera a German Expert from Germany. As per the program, I got an opportunity to do 45 days internship from Pokhara’s famous restaurant Moondance Restaurant and Bar. My first half of the learning was an amazing experience. I was able to develop many aspects. My love for culinary industry-cooking was strengthened. I improved my level of cooking skills and I understand how the kitchen works. Making Newari/Nepali- Vietnamese cuisine (fusion cuisine) was a new skill for me and I was able to understand the creativity needed to design the best plate for the customer. I will be able to use many aspects of my training to improve and grow my career.


After the first part of the exchange, I came to Vietnam to continue the other half of the exchange where I’m learning Vietnamese cuisine and seafood. This is an amazing place where I'm trying to get a lot of experience. The days are going well.

In the future, I would like to return to my country and would like to share all the skills, knowledge, and experience with my younger and senior chefs that I have learned in Vietnam. Perhaps the word sounds even worse when taught to a senior chef. Because I don't think we need a great chef to learn something, we can start from ourselves. I will share with you what I learned and you will share with me what you know. Let's exchange the experience with each other so that we can strengthen the journey of the culinary. As we all know Dalai Lama who is the head monk of Tibetan Buddhism said "share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality" I will get the satisfaction that day when someone approaches me and says "What you've shared has made it so much easier for me today." 


The dream of all chefs is to promote their mother land’s food all around the world; likewise, I also have a dream to introduce my mother's cuisine all over the world. I will try to boost the morale ethics and young involvement in our society who have not been able to do anything by being their mentor. The future of today's youth is the future of our nation, so let's strengthen it from now onward from our end. I want to be an inspiration to my younger brothers and sisters. My career objective is to be involved in the culinary field in reputed organizations as well as to make effective use of my cooking learning techniques in the hospitality industry. I wish I could be able to work with an organization that not only provides career opportunities but also helps in personal and professional growth. For me as a chef, this career isn't for getting a well-paid job equally to share the knowledge/skills that I learned to our community and its sustainable development. I would like to thank all my mentors, chef, and team during my journey. My sincere gratitude to NOREC- GATE College and Pegasus International College for your great efforts to train us. It was a wonderful student exchange experience.


GATE - Because I Care !!

Thank you!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Story - Srijan Budha Magar

Fabulous Journey from Eastern Nepal to Global Food Trendsetter- Nabin Chamlagain

FAB School - A sense of pure hospitality vocational training